xThis is staging just to let you know
Canadian Women Artists' Award
The Canadian Women Artists’ Award is open to emerging or early career artists in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut.
The $5,000 award is designed to provide financial support to an emerging or early career artist working in any discipline, and can be used in any manner the recipient deems necessary to further their artistic goals. It is supported by funding granted to NYFA by the Canadian Women's Club (CWC) of New York as a way to continue its philanthropic work when it disbanded.
WHO CAN APPLY?
The Canadian Women Artists’ Award is open to women artists who meet the following requirements:
- Must be a Canadian citizen, and able to provide proof of citizenship with legal documentation upon receipt of the award.
- Must be between the ages of 21 and 35 before the application deadline.
- Must be a current resident of New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut.
- Must apply in only one of the eligible discipline categories.
- Must be the originators of the work, i.e. choreographers or playwrights; not awarded to interpretative artists such as dancers or actors.
- Must not be a previous recipient of the Canadian Women Artists’ Award.
- Must not be a NYFA employee, member of the NYFA Board of Trustees or Artists' Advisory Committee, and/or an immediate family member of any of the previous.
Students in bachelor’s or master’s degree programs are eligible to apply.
2017 Canadian Women Artists' Award Winner
Composer and musician Anna Webber was named the first-ever recipient of the Canadian Women Artists' Award. Webber, a British Columbia-born, Brooklyn-based composer, flutist, and saxophonist, was selected by a multidisciplinary panel of artists from a pool of 100 Canadian women artist applicants between the ages of 21 and 35 from across New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut.
Recent albums include the critically-acclaimed Binary (2016) and SIMPLE (2014), both through Skirl Records and recorded with her Simple Trio featuring drummer John Hollenbeck and pianist Matt Mitchell.
AWARD CYCLE 2017-2018
The application for the 2018-2019 award cycle is now closed.
Canadian Women Artists' Award Categories
- Architecture/Environmental Structures/Design
- Digital/Electronic Arts
- Folk/Traditional Arts
- Interdisciplinary Work
- Nonfiction Literature
- Printmaking/Drawing/Book Arts
Image Credit: Naomi Harris (NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellow in Photography '13); Self Portrait with Mum/Fantasy Land Hotel, West Edmonton Mall, Alberta, 2011, C-Print