The NYC Women's Fund for Media, Music and Theatre
The NYC Women’s Fund for Media, Music and Theatre provides grants to encourage and support the creation of digital, film, music, television, and live theatre content that reflects the voices and perspectives of all who identify as women.
The NYC Women’s Fund for Media, Music and Theatre is the latest in a groundbreaking series of initiatives by the City of New York Mayor’s Office of Media and Entertainment (MOME) to address the underrepresentation of those who identify as women in film, music, television, and theatre. New York Foundation for the Arts (NYFA) is proud to administer this Fund, which this year adds music as a category.
The program will provide:
- Finishing grants for film, television, and digital projects
- Funds for the creation of music recordings or videos
- Production funds for live theatre
In addition to being made by, for, or about all who identify as women, projects are eligible if they feature a strong female perspective; and/or include a female-identified director and/or producer and/or writer/songwriter and/or engineer (for recordings) and/or female protagonist(s) or lead musical role.
Grants will be given in the following categories (amounts listed are the maximum potential grant):
- Fiction Feature (running time of 60 minutes or more) - $50,000
- Fiction Short (running time of 59 minutes or less) - $25,000
- Fiction Webisode/Webseries (all forms) - $20,000
- Documentary Feature (running time of 60 minutes or more) - 50,000
- Documentary Short (running time of 59 minutes or less) - $25,000
- Documentary Webisodes/Webseries (all lengths and forms) - $20,000
- Music: Classical/Experimental/Jazz/New Music - $20,000
- Music General - $20,000
- Theatre Production - grant amounts up to $50,000
In 2019, finishing funds in the combined amount of $1.5 million were awarded to 63 film, TV, theatre, and digital media projects made by creatives who identify as women.
This is the second round of a $5 million, three-year program made possible through the City of New York Mayor's Office of Media and Entertainment (MOME). The NYC Women's Fund for Media, Music and Theatre will be available for one additional award cycle opening in Summer 2020 (for 2021).
Applications for the 2020 cycle will close on Tuesday, October 1 at 11:59 PM EST. Please note that NYFA staff will no longer respond to questions sent to the email@example.com line after 7:00 PM on Tuesday, October 1.
Recipients will be announced in March 2020. View NYC Women's Fund FAQs here, and click below to view guidelines for each project category.
Anyone can apply and be awarded a grant regardless of actual or perceived sex, gender, gender identity or gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, partnership status, marital status, disability (including use of a service animal), race, color, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, military status, or any other class protected by City, State, or Federal law.APPLY NOW
Image Credit: Courtesy the City of New York Mayor's Office of Media and Entertainment