NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship
The NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship is a $7,000 unrestricted cash grant available to artists living in New York State and/or one of the Indian Nations located therein.
This grant is awarded in fifteen different disciplines over a three-year period (five categories a year) and the application is free to complete. The NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship is not a project grant, but is intended to fund an artist’s vision or voice, at all levels of their artistic development.
APPLICANTS MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
- 25 years or older
- Current residents of New York State and/or one of the Indian Nations located in New York State
- Must have maintained New York State residency, and/or residency in one of the Indian Nations located therein, for at least the last two consecutive years (2019 & 2020)
- Cannot be enrolled in a degree-seeking program of any kind
- Are the originators of the work, i.e. choreographers or playwrights, not interpretive artists such as dancers or actors
- Did not receive a NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship in any discipline in the past five consecutive years: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020
- Cannot submit any work samples that have been previously awarded a NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship
- While collaborating artists are eligible to apply, the total number of collaborators cannot exceed three
- Are not a current NYFA employee or have been in the last 12 months, a member of the NYFA Board of Trustees or Artists’ Advisory Committee, immediate family member of any of the aforementioned, or an immediate family member of a 2020-2021 panelist
- Artists that have been awarded five NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowships receive Emeritus status and are no longer eligible for the award
NYFA only accepts applications online via apply.nyfa.org/submit.
CURRENT AWARD CYCLE
2021 NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship Categories
Applications for the 2021 award cycle are now open and will close on Wednesday, February 10, 2021 at 11:59 PM EST. The following categories will be reviewed:
- Folk/Traditional Arts
- Interdisciplinary Work
Applying for a NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship? View our “How to Apply” video here.APPLY NOW
The NYFA Grants team will be hosting a series of information sessions designed to help artists build a stronger application. Each session will be hosted on Zoom, and will have a Q&A section where artists can ask questions about the application process.
Registrations will open a week before the event and all sessions will be recorded and made available on NYFA’s Facebook page.
Topic: 2021 NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship Overview
Date: Wednesday, November 18, 2020
Time: 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM EST
This event is at capacity and we are no longer accepting RSVPs. A recording of the session will be posted on NYFA’s Facebook page by Friday, November 20.
Topic: Taking A Closer Look at the 2021 Disciplines
Date: Monday, December 14, 2020
Time: 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM EST
Topic: Crafting Your Written Statements
Date: Wednesday, January 13, 2021
Time: 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM EST
Topic: What Panelist Look for When Reviewing an Application
Date: Monday, January 25, 2021
Time: 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM EST
Topic: Last Minute Questions & Application Overview
Date: Wednesday, February 3, 2021
Time: 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM EST
FUTURE AWARD CYCLES
2022 NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship Categories
Applications for the 2021-22 award cycle will open in Fall 2021. The following categories will be reviewed:
- Architecture/Environmental Structures/Design
2023 NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship Categories
Applications for the 2022-23 award cycle will open in Fall 2022. The following categories will be reviewed:
- Digital/Electronic Arts
- Nonfiction Literature
- Printmaking/Drawing/Book Arts
NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowships are administered with leadership support from New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and the New York State Legislature.
Major funding is also provided by the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs.
Additional funding is provided by the Milton & Sally Avery Arts Foundation, Deutsche Bank, and individual donors.
You can join NYFA’s generous benefactors in helping artists. Visit our Support pages to learn more about the impact of your gift.
Image Credit: (Detail) Sangram Majumdar (Fellow in Painting ’18), giacometti’s shadow, 2018, oil on canvas