NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship
The NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship is a $7,000 unrestricted cash grant available to artists living in New York State and/or one of the Indian Nations located therein.
This grant is awarded in fifteen different disciplines over a three-year period (five categories a year) and the application is free to complete. The NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship is not a project grant, but is intended to fund an artist’s vision or voice, at all levels of their artistic development.
APPLICANTS MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
- 25 years or older
- Current residents of New York State and/or one of the Indian Nations located in New York State
- Must have maintained New York State residency, and/or residency in one of the Indian Nations located therein, for at least the last two consecutive years (2020 & 2021)
- Cannot be enrolled in a degree-seeking program of any kind
- Are the originators of the work, i.e. choreographers or playwrights, not interpretive artists such as dancers or actors
- Did not receive a NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship in any discipline in the past five consecutive years: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021
- Cannot submit any work samples that have been previously awarded a NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship
- While collaborating artists are eligible to apply, the total number of collaborators cannot exceed three
- Are not a current NYFA employee or have been in the last 12 months, a member of the NYFA Board of Trustees or Artists’ Advisory Committee, immediate family member of any of the aforementioned, or an immediate family member of a 2021-2022 panelist
- Artists that have been awarded five NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowships receive Emeritus status and are no longer eligible for the award
NYFA only accepts applications online via apply.nyfa.org/submit.
2022 AWARD CYCLE
Applications for the 2022 award cycle opened on Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 10:00 AM EDT and will close on Wednesday, January 26, 2022 at 5:00 PM EST. The following categories will be reviewed:
- Architecture/Environmental Structures/Design
Applying for a NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship? View our “How to Apply” video here.APPLY NOW – ARCHITECTURE/ENVIRONMENTAL STRUCTURES DESIGN APPLY NOW – CHOREOGRAPHY APPLY NOW – MUSIC/SOUND APPLY NOW – PHOTOGRAPHY APPLY NOW – PLAYWRITING/SCREENWRITING
The NYFA Grant’s team will be hosting a series of virtual information sessions designed to help artists build a stronger NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship application. Each session will have a Q & A section where artists can ask the Grants team questions about the application process. All sessions except the 2022 NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship Overview session will be hosted on Zoom.
Registration will open two weeks before the event date. All sessions will be recorded and made available on this page and NYFA’s Facebook page.
Topic: 2022 NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship Overview (Pre-Recorded)
Recording: Watch here or below.
Topic: Taking A Closer Look at the 2022 Disciplines
Date and Time: Wednesday, October 27, 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM EDT
Register: Please click here to register.
Topic: Crafting Your Written Statements
Date and Time: Wednesday, November 10, 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM EST
Topic: What Panelists Look for When Reviewing an Application
Date and Time: Wednesday, December 15, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM EST
Topic: Last Minute Questions & Application Overview
Date and Time: Wednesday, January 12, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM EST
FUTURE AWARD CYCLES
2023 NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship Categories
Applications for the 2022-23 award cycle will open in Fall 2022. The following categories will be reviewed:
- Digital/Electronic Arts
- Nonfiction Literature
- Printmaking/Drawing/Book Arts
2024 NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship Categories
Applications for the 2023-24 award cycle will open in Fall 2023. The following categories will be reviewed:
- Folk/Traditional Arts
- Interdisciplinary Work
INFORMATION SESSION RECORDINGS
2022 NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship Overview presented by Eleysha Sajous, Program Officer, NYFA Grants.
“DEAR ARTIST” BY FELLOW KELLY TSAI
Video: Kelly Tsai (Fellow in Nonfiction Literature ’17), “Dear Artist,” spoken word performance, 2020 NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellows and Finalists Celebration, December 2020
NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowships are administered with leadership support from New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and the New York State Legislature.
Major funding is also provided by the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs.
Additional funding is provided by the Milton & Sally Avery Arts Foundation, Deutsche Bank, and individual donors.
You can join NYFA’s generous benefactors in helping artists. Visit our Support pages to learn more about the impact of your gift.
Image Credit: (Detail) Sangram Majumdar (Fellow in Painting ’18), giacometti’s shadow, 2018, oil on canvas