Application Deadline: Tuesday, June 15 at 5:00 PM EDT
NYFA only accepts applications submitted online at apply.nyfa.org/submit
The Barbara and Carl Zydney Grant for Artists with Disabilities will distribute unrestricted cash grants of $1,000 to artists with a disability who have experienced financial hardship due to the COVID-19 crisis. The program is open to visual, media, music, performing, and literary artists who live in New York City (five boroughs).
NYFA is committed to supporting artists from every background, and at all stages in their creative careers. We strongly encourage artists of color with disabilities and LGBTQ+ artists with disabilities to apply.
To request an accommodation or if you need assistance in applying online, please email [email protected] or call 646.801.0632 on Mondays between 2:00 PM and 5:00 PM EDT. We ask that requests for accommodations be made as soon as possible, and no later than Tuesday, June 1 to allow adequate time for staff to support you in submitting an application before the deadline.
WHO CAN APPLY?
• Applicants must identify as having a disability.
• Applicants need to be actively creating in visual, media, music, performing, or literary arts.
• Applicants need to provide documentation of a sustained commitment to their artistic practice from anytime in the past 4 years (2017, 2018, 2019 and/or 2020).
• Applicants must be 21 years or older on or before Tuesday, June 15, 2021.
• Applicants need to be current residents of New York City and have maintained residency since July 2020.
• Applicants can be past recipients of any of NYFA’s grant programs, including 2020/2021 COVID-19 Emergency Grants such as: Anonymous Was a Woman, Maurice Sendak Foundation Emergency Grant, Tri-State Relief Fund to Support Non-Salaried Workers in the Visual Arts or Keep NYS Creating.
• Applicants do not need to be U.S. citizens but must be able to provide a W-9 with a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) or EIN (after selection).
• Applicants cannot be an NYFA employee or NYFA Board member or NYFA Advisory Committee member, or an immediate family member Nor can they be an immediate family member of the Zydney Family.
Applicants will need to provide:
• Documentation of a current sustained artistic practice in the visual, media, music, performing, or literary arts:
– An up-to-date CV or resume listing creative activities that the artist has participated in (please ensure dates are listed).
– A short artist biography up-to 300 words outlining the artists practice and accomplishments from anytime in the past 4 years. Where appropriate, please list dates and locations.
AND one of the following
– Example of public engagement: one press link/news article from any time between 2017 to date of the artist’s creative activity. Activities might include, but are not limited to: exhibition/show press release, exhibition/show review that the artist participated in, or promotional material of an exhibition or show or other published online documentation of the artist’s creative practice.
– Recent work samples of work created within the last four years, 2017 to date. Applicants will be able to upload images, audio recordings, short video clips, or a PDF manuscript (excerpt only).
– Reference: A short letter of reference from a past curator or community arts organizer that has worked with the artist in a creative capacity within the past three years. Letters should be signed and dated and on a letterhead or email with email address and date visible.
Applicants can also provide an additional link to illustrate their online presence such as a link to Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.
• Documentation of NYC residency: Applicant will need to submit an official letter or other documentation from 2021.
The document must:
– Be on an official company document/letterhead, stating the applicant’s name, 2021 date, and NYC address;
– This document can be, but not limited to: utility bill, bank statement or bill, credit card statement, valid government ID listing NYC address issued in January 2021, and or residential or studio lease.
• Proof of age: Upload passport or state-issued ID.
Please direct all questions to [email protected].DOWNLOAD APPLICATION GUIDELINES AS PDF