Social | #ArtistHotline: December 20 Artist Professional Development Day
This online forum is turning 30! Celebrate 30 months of dialogue by tweeting and with a giveaway of The Profitable Artist on Wednesday, December 20, from 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM EST!
What are your arts career goals for 2018? Share your next steps and resolutions with #ArtistHotline, a monthly Artist’s Professional Development Day. Since July 2015, this Twitter chat has served as a forum for sharing professional development resources, advice, and encouragement. NYFA staff, arts professionals from cultural organizations across the county, and artists of all disciplines have been building a shared platform of knowledge around the Business of Art.
What are the resources you need to move forward? Where can you find the support you need to build a sustainable arts career? #ArtistHotline is a space to pose these questions and receive impactful answers. Read on to learn how you can participate in #ArtistHotline and in an anniversary giveaway of the book The Profitable Artist.
Schedule for the Day
- 11:00 AM EST: #ArtistHotline begins, starting with an Open Chat! NYFA staff and partnering organizations will be online to field questions and share advice. Use this time to ask for pointers on any topic related to your arts career, from marketing strategies for artists to fundraising tools like fiscal sponsorship.
- 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM EST: During the “Tackling Creative Block” Guest Chat, our virtual panel will consist of writer and curator Danielle Krysa, Design Matters founder and host Debbie Millman, and dancer, choreographer, and writer Wendy Perron. Learn more about the “Tackling Creative Block” Guest Chat, and, if your proverbial muse seems to be absent, this panel can help.
- 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM EST: Anna Ogier-Bloomer, Assistant Director of Career Development
at the School of Visual Arts, and a feminist artist and photographer, will join us for a “Work-Life Balance” Arts Administrator Q&A. Learn more about Ogier-Bloomer’s artistic practice, and, on Wednesday afternoon tweet her questions about the delicate art of balance.
Join the #ArtistHotline Conversation
Here’s how you can participate in #ArtistHotline throughout the day:
- If you don’t already have one, create a free Twitter account now.
- Follow the #ArtistHotline conversation live on Twitter.
- Tweet your questions using the hashtag #ArtistHotline and get responses from our industry experts—like Guest Tweeters Krysa, Millman, and Perron, and featured arts administrator Ogier-Bloomer—as well as partnering organizations and artists.
Want to join in but not sure how to get started? Try reading our Tips to Take Best Advantage of the Day. Then, chime in on Twitter on December 20!
Participate in The Profitable Artist Giveaway
As a way of thanking the individuals who make #ArtistHotline such a unique and meaningful forum, we’re giving away three copies of The Profitable Artist (Allworth Press, 2011), which compiles a wealth of practical information for artists of all disciplines. Each individual artist who uses the hashtag #ArtistHotline on Wednesday, December 20, between 11:00 AM and 4:00 PM EST, will qualify, and three tweeters will be randomly selected. So get ready to tweet us your questions!
Inspired by the NYFA Source Hotline, #ArtistHotline is an initiative dedicated to creating an ongoing online conversation around the professional side of artistic practice. #ArtistHotline occurs on the third Wednesday of each month on Twitter. Our goal is to help artists discover the resources needed, online and off, to develop sustainable careers.
This initiative is supported by the Emily Hall Tremaine Foundation.
Images: Pascual Jaime Sisto (Fellow in Digital/Electronic Arts ‘17), Monument Valley, 2014; social media images: Donald West