New York Foundation for the Arts (NYFA)
Full Time Permanent
DEPARTMENT: NYFA Connects
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
STATUS: Full-time permanent
The Director of Communications and Sales oversees all communications, sales, and online resources for the New York Foundation for the Arts (NYFA), a 47-year-old nonprofit arts service organization that supports artists nationwide through professional development, grants, fiscal sponsorship, and online resources. The Director of Communications and Sales ensures a positive and engaged public image for NYFA while raising the visibility of its services, events and impact to artists, funders, partners, and communities in and outside of New York City in alignment with NYFA’s organizational priorities. This position is part of NYFA’s senior leadership, reports to NYFA’s Executive Director, and supervises a close-knit team of five full-time employees. In addition to working closely with all departments at NYFA, this position has considerable contact with the public and NYFA’s board.
The NYFA Connects Department is responsible for all marketing and communications efforts for the organization; digital advertising and sponsorships in the form of NYFA Classifieds job/opportunity listings and sponsored content; and online resources, including NYFA
Source, a database of artist opportunities, and articles related to the business of art. Advertising is a significant source of revenue for NYFA to support NYFA’s free and/or low-cost programs for artists so the Director of Communications and Sales will be responsible for securing partnerships and setting and meeting aggressive sales goals. NYFA is in a period of institutional change having recently completed a strategic plan while also internally restructuring and filling leadership vacancies. NYFA’s strategic plan outlines growth initiatives for several areas, including communications and advertising/sales. One of the key charges of this position will be to generate income to support the long term goal of separating the team into two areas and potentially identifying and cultivating internal talent in that process.
NYFA’s leadership is team based. All staff directors are expected to work with their colleagues both horizontally and vertically in a open collaborative and collective culture. Ideas in the organization for any department can come from any level and encouragement is given to such interactions, shared understandings and transparency.
Ideal candidates are self motivated, digitally savvy, data-driven team players who have extensive experience building relationships, preferably within the arts & culture sector both with for-profits and nonprofits; managing and empowering staff; and conducting and adapting outreach strategies to diverse constituents and key stakeholders. NYFA believes strongly in equity, diversity, and inclusion in all of its work; candidates must demonstrate a commitment to these principles and be well versed in how these principles apply to nonprofits, community outreach, digital and physical accessibility, and specifically, hiring practices, given NYFA’s presence as a job board.
● Develop integrated communications and sales campaigns and strategies and assess and adapt efforts on a regular basis with team.
● Oversee all internal and external marketing and communications efforts, including digital communications, social media, media relations, content development, in-person outreach, and promotional partnerships.
● Significantly expand customer acquisition and customer relations efforts; set and meet aggressive quarterly sales goals; develop plans to identify leads and develop relationships with existing customers.
● Work closely with program staff to promote their work, conduct outreach to artists and partners, and engage affiliated artists as brand ambassadors for NYFA.
● Work closely with development staff to raise money for NYFA, including collaborating on fundraising campaigns for individual donors, preparing materials for pitches, and
gathering data for funder reports.
● Oversee communications requests from NYFA staff through internal technology workflows that you manage and update as necessary.
● Oversee NYFA’s digital strategy, website, blog, online initiatives, and its profile and activity on social networking platforms using technological tools and analytics.
● Serve as NYFA’s editorial and creative director; review print and digital copy before publication to ensure they embody NYFA’s mission and meet NYFA brand guidelines.
● Supervise five full-time employees: a Senior Communications Officer, an Account Manager, a Sales Manager, a Program Officer, Online Resources, and a Designer/Marketing Associate. Conduct weekly meetings, discuss emerging issues, set goals and KPI’s, and support staff professional development. Provide guidance and
strategic oversight, but also be hands-on and prepared to take on tasks as necessary from the rest of the team.
● Work closely with NYFA’s tech team, including consultants, to create and adapt products and resources in the service of artists.
● In partnership with the NYFA Board Chair and Executive Director, draft public statements related to NYFA policies and new initiatives and in response to current
issues that affect NYFA and/or the diverse artist constituency that NYFA serves.
● Oversee NYFA’s media relations efforts to raise NYFA’s profile on a local, national, and international level.
● Seek out in-person or digital opportunities for NYFA related to communications and sales, including attending conferences and art fairs and establishing media partnerships.
● Manage departmental budgets and leverage data to efficiently allocate, measure, and spend paid marketing and personnel budget.
● Stay up-to-date on industry changes for digital communications, online advertising, and labor laws, best practices, and current issues that affect both the department and NYFA as a whole.
● Serve as staff liaison for NYFA’s Board Marketing Committee.
● Successful track record of managing highly productive teams.
● Proven ability to foster relationships with multiple internal and external constituencies. Culturally competent and experienced in building trusted relationships with a diverse set of communities.
● Experience in sales, marketing, advertising, and/or communications in a strategy role.
● Tech savvy. Proficient in Google Analytics, API integrations, content management systems, social media, task management software, preferably Asana, customer service software, and email marketing software, preferably Mailchimp. Comfortable with HTML, Google Adwords, and Adobe Creative Suite.
Application Instructions / Public Contact Information
Please send cover letter with salary requirements and resume to HR@NYFA.org with Director of Communications and Sales in the subject line.
The New York Foundation for the Arts (NYFA) is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to supporting a more equitable arts sector. Our values of equity, diversity, and inclusion are critical to our mission to serve all artists. Individuals of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. NYFA's offices are accessible.