New York Foundation for the Arts (NYFA)
Full Time Permanent
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
STATUS: Full-time permanent
The New York Foundation for the Arts (NYFA) seeks a seasoned director of development to spearhead financial growth as the organization increasingly diversifies and expands its programming. Reporting to the executive director, NYFA seeks a focused, passionate fundraising professional to reach specific fundraising goals.
The New York Foundation for the Arts (NYFA) is a nonprofit arts service organization, providing comprehensive support for artists in the United States. NYFA’s mission is to empower artists in all disciplines of the visual, performance, media and literary arts, at critical stages in their creative lives. Through funding opportunities, fiscal sponsorship, online information resources, and entrepreneurial based direct service programs, NYFA
works with artists, arts administrators, and arts organizations throughout the country. NYFA’s vision is to help artists to sustain themselves economically through a lens of equity, diversity, and inclusion.
NYFA’s leadership is team based. All staff directors are expected to work with their colleagues both horizontally and vertically in a open collaborative and collective culture. Ideas in the organization for any department can come from any level and encouragement is given to such interactions, shared understandings and transparency. Therefore is is important that the individual engage in this ongoing cultural shift among the whole staff, and be active in mentoring in training others not in fundraising to be aware of and participate in fundraising goals. For example, working closely with the communications staff to raise money for NYFA, including collaborating on fundraising campaigns for individual donors, preparing materials for pitches, and gathering data for funder reports.
NYFA is at a pivotal moment in its evolution. It has been increasingly expanding its programs beyond New York City and State to serve artists nationally and, in targeted areas, internationally. It also provides programming in languages other than English to serve a broader community of artists in need. In addition to providing in person services, it continually looks to use technology to expand reach and the quality of its programming. Working from a recently completed strategic plan, its goals are to grow staffing and resources for entrepreneurial training programs and the expansion of technology, all requiring additional financial support. Specifically NYFA is aiming to increase total funding over the next five years by 25-50%, driven 40% by traditional sources and 60% by earned income; increase diverse representation amongst donors by type and across geography, and secure corporate partnerships.
Further NYFA wishes to expand its awarding of unrestricted grants (fellowships) to artists across the United States in a systematic, impactful, and sustainable way. The director of development will work closely with the executive director and other senior leaders to develop a strategy that can roll out state-by-state, targeting key geographies determined by core work being conducted by NYFA in other states.
Key Duties for Program Support Include:
• Responsible for growth in contributed income from all sources including corporate, foundation, government, individuals, and an annual benefit.
• Develop key prospects
• Cultivate and Solicit individuals to NYFA’s donor fund.
• Supervise a staff responsible for individual giving, special events, institutional giving and other fundraising areas.
• Work with board in becoming more active advocates and fundraisers for the organization.
• Develop strategies to increase individual support, with an emphasis on major gifts, and endowment/cash reserve creation.
• Develop strategies to increase institutional support with emphasis on national expansion.
• Research potential government and foundation sources in other states for NYFA programs that are either occurring in or will be occurring outside of New York.
• Plan and execute annual benefit.
• Grow micro donation campaigns
• Oversee fall and spring appeals
• Act as key point person for government advocacy work and funding requests, including meetings with City Council Members and preparing and delivering testimony at City Hall.
Key Duties for Fellowship Support Include:
• Identify potential cities for rollout in conjunction with other nation wide strategies
• Research fellowship landscape in target cities
• Identify potential funders
• Cultivate relationships with funders and partner organizations
• Finalize relationships
• Secure funds
• Maintain and grow relationships
• Secure endowed grants
• Strong knowledge of and connections with funding community in New York State and nationally.
• Minimum of 5 - 7 years fundraising experience, preferably at a nonprofit cultural organization, though we are open to individuals from various backgrounds.
• Proven success with entrepreneurial endeavors.
• Outgoing, enthusiastic, personable and highly diplomatic, able to work with and motivate people of all temperaments.
• Experienced speaker, able to represent NYFA’s multifaceted mission and programs clearly and effectively both one-on-one and in small and large group settings.
• Exceptional oral and verbal communication skills.
• Strategic thinker who is able to both address immediate needs and plan longterm fundraising strategies.
• Dedication to and experience with internal and external equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives.
• Passion for NYFA’s mission and to helping individual artists achieve their goals.
• Knowledge of the visual art world and relationships with collectors, a plus.
• Knowledge of bitcoin exchange mechanisms, a plus.
Application Instructions / Public Contact Information
Please send cover letter with salary requirements and resume to HR@NYFA.org with Director of Development in the subject line.
The New York Foundation for the Arts (NYFA) is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to supporting a more equitable arts sector. Our values of equity, diversity,
and inclusion are critical to our mission to serve all artists. Individuals of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. NYFA's offices are accessible.