NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship
The NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship is a $7,000 unrestricted cash grant available to artists living in New York State and/or one of the Indian Nations located therein.
This grant is awarded in fifteen different disciplines over a three-year period (five categories a year) and the application is free to complete. The NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship is not a project grant, but is intended to fund an artist’s vision or voice, at all levels of their artistic development.
APPLICANTS MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
- 25 years or older
- Current residents of New York State and/or one of the Indian Nations located in New York State
- Must have maintained New York State residency, and/or residency in one of the Indian Nations located therein, for at least the last two consecutive years (2019 & 2020)
- Cannot be enrolled in a degree-seeking program of any kind
- Are the originators of the work, i.e. choreographers or playwrights, not interpretive artists such as dancers or actors
- Did not receive a NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship in any discipline in the past five consecutive years: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020
- Cannot submit any work samples that have been previously awarded a NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship
- While collaborating artists are eligible to apply, the total number of collaborators cannot exceed three
- Are not a current NYFA employee or have been in the last 12 months, a member of the NYFA Board of Trustees or Artists’ Advisory Committee, immediate family member of any of the aforementioned, or an immediate family member of a 2020-2021 panelist
- Artists that have been awarded five NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowships receive Emeritus status and are no longer eligible for the award
NYFA only accepts applications online via apply.nyfa.org/submit.
CURRENT AWARD CYCLE
2021 NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship Categories
Applications for the 2020-21 award cycle will open in Fall 2020. The following categories will be reviewed:
- Folk/Traditional Arts
- Interdisciplinary Work
Due to the impact of COVID-19, the 2020 notification timeline has been delayed.
Interested in attending an upcoming NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship application seminar? Visit our events page.
Applying for a NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship? View our “How to Apply” video here.
FUTURE AWARD CYCLES
2022 NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship Categories
Applications for the 2021-22 award cycle will open in Fall 2021. The following categories will be reviewed:
- Architecture/Environmental Structures/Design
2023 NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship Categories
Applications for the 2022-23 award cycle will open in Fall 2022. The following categories will be reviewed:
- Digital/Electronic Arts
- Nonfiction Literature
- Printmaking/Drawing/Book Arts
NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowships are administered with leadership support from New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and the New York State Legislature.
Major funding is also provided by the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs.
Additional funding is provided by the Milton & Sally Avery Arts Foundation, Deutsche Bank, and individual donors.
You can join NYFA’s generous benefactors in helping artists. Visit our Support pages to learn more about the impact of your gift.
Image Credit: Angelina Gualdoni (Fellow in Painting ’08), Transference in Aurora, Illinois, 2004, Acrylic and oil on canvas.