Application Deadline: Tuesday, October 19, 5:00 PM EDT
NYFA only accepts applications submitted online at apply.nyfa.org/submit.
The Recharge New Surrealist Prize is a $7,000 cash award for painters living in the United States and U.S. Territories working in the New Surrealist style. Funding is provided by the Gu Family of the Recharge Foundation.
WHO CAN APPLY?
The Recharge New Surrealist Prize is a national award open to artists working in the New Surrealist style:
1. Applicants must be working in the New Surrealist style. The New Surrealist style is an extension of the Surrealist movement which was at its height in the 1920s. Artist’s working within The New Surrealist styles combine relatable imagery in uncanny and unexpected situations within their work.
2. Artist must be painters. NYFA defines painting as work that involves painting of any kind upon any surface.
3. Applicant must be at least 18 year of age at the time the applications closes.
4. NYFA employees, member of the NYFA Board of Trustees or Artists’ Advisory Committee, and/or an immediate family member of any of the above cannot apply.
Students in bachelor’s or master’s degree programs are eligible to apply.
NYFA is committed to supporting artists from every background, and at all stages in their creative careers. We strongly encourage artists of color, LGBTQ+ artists, artists with disabilities, and artists living outside of the metropolitan area to apply.
To request an accommodation or assistance in applying, please email [email protected]. We ask that requests for accommodation be made as soon as possible, or by Monday, October 4 to allow adequate time for staff to support you in submitting an application before the deadline.
• Artist contact details
• Artist Statement – up to 200 words
• Work Statement – up to 200 words
• Technical Statement (Optional) – up to 200 words
• Work Samples: Up-to 10 .jpg images of the artist works created within the last 5 years
• Artist CV – 2 pages max
HOW TO APPLY
1. Create a new application online
All applications and work samples must be uploaded and submitted via the online application platform Submittable at https://apply.nyfa.org/. NYFA does not accept any physical copies of applications.
Applicants must have a Submittable account in order to access the application form and upload
supporting materials. To create an account, click on the Recharge New Surrealist Prize application, enter
your details, and click Create Account and Continue. A verification email will be sent to your email
address; check your inbox and click on the link provided in the email to verify your account. If you
already have an account, sign in and begin the application.
*If you do not receive an e-mail from Submittable in your inbox, be sure to check your Spam inbox.
2. Begin your online application
All applicants are required to submit their contact information. Please provide your full legal name and date of birth as it appears on all government issued forms of identification in the Applicant Information section. Please also provide your current physical address, as well as your most frequently used email address and phone number.
The Recharge New Surrealist Prize is open to artists living anywhere in the United States and U.S Territories.
3. Submit an Artist Statement, Work Statement, and Technical Statement (Optional)
Artist Statement: Applicants must submit a 200-word (max) statement about their artistic practice and
how their work fits into the “New Surrealist” genre.
Work Statement: A statement explaining your artistic vision as directly related to your submitted work samples. This is not an artist statement, but should instead reflect only the ideas and inspiration relevant ONLY to the work submitted. Up to 200 words. The Work Statement is available to panelists in the first round of review.
Questions to consider for your Work Statement:
• What is your submitted work about?
• How does this work represent the primary concerns and intentions of your artistic practice as described in your artist statement?
Technical Statement (Optional): Applicants can submit a 200-word (max) statement describing the key technical aspects of the work. Use this statement to highlight your role in creating/executing the work.
Questions to consider for your Technical Statement, referencing only the submitted Work Samples:
• How was the work created/executed?
• What specific technologies/techniques are integral to creating the work?
4. Upload your Work Samples
The Recharge New Surrealist Prize only accepts images as Work Samples.
Please upload up to 10 digital images using the following specifications:
File name: Labeled with applicant’s last name and a number, e.g “Smith01.jpg, Smith02.jpg, etc.”
File size: No larger than 4.0 MB (each image)
File format: .jpg
Image files should be numbered 01 – 10 in the order the applicant would like them to be seen. Once
each image has been upload, caption fields will appear within the application. Please provide
descriptions for each image that include the title, date, materials, dimensions, and any additional
Quick Tips for Image Work Samples:
• You do not need to submit 10 images if you feel your work is represented well with fewer, and
submitting fewer will not detract from the review of your application.
• Composite images are not accepted.
• Ensure your images are in focus, were taken in good lighting, and represent your work well.
• Be sure to note whether an image is a (detail) or (installation view) in the title.
5. Upload an Artist CV
Please include an artist CV no more than 2 pages in length.
6. Submit your Application
Review your application before you submit. Once the application is submitted you will not be able to
reopen your application.
Once you successfully submit your application you will receive a confirmation email from the
Submittable platform. If you do not see this confirmation, please contact [email protected].
Applications submitted after the stated deadline will not be accepted and no exceptions will be made.