WHO CAN APPLY?
The New Surrealism Fellowship is a national award open to artists working in the New Surrealist style:
1. Applicants must be working in the New Surrealist style. The New Surrealist style is an extension of the Surrealist movement which was at its height in the 1920s. Artist’s working within The New Surrealist styles combine relatable imagery in uncanny and unexpected situations within their work.
2. Artist must be painters. NYFA defines painting as work that involves painting of any kind upon any surface.
3. Applicant must be at least 18 year of age at the time the applications closes.
4. NYFA employees, member of the NYFA Board of Trustees or Artists’ Advisory Committee, and/or an immediate family member of any of the above cannot apply.
5. Students in bachelor’s or master’s degree programs are eligible to apply.
APPLICATIONS NEED TO INCLUDE:
• Artist contact details
• 200-Word Artist Statement giving general insight into their artist practice 200-Word Work Statement giving further specific context to the works samples submitted with the application and how they relate to the New Surrealist genre
• Work Samples: Up-to 8 .jpg images of the artist works created within the last 5 years
• Artist CV – 2pgs max
Applications for the 2020 cycle will be announced later in the year.
All applications must be submitted online at https://apply.nyfa.org/submit.
Applications submitted after the deadline will not be accepted and no exceptions will be made. We highly recommend that applicants complete their applications in advance of the deadline to allow time for work samples to upload and to avoid potential technical problems.
Applicants will receive an automatic response from Submittable once their application has been successfully received. For more information, please email [email protected].
HOW TO APPLY
1. Create a new application online
All applications and work samples must be uploaded and submitted via the online application platform Submittable at https://apply.nyfa.org/ . NYFA does not accept any physical copies of applications.
Applicants must have a Submittable account in order to access the application form and upload
supporting materials. To create an account, click on the New Surrealism Fellowship application, enter
your details, and click Create Account and Continue. A verification email will be sent to your email
address; check your inbox and click on the link provided in the email to verify your account. If you
already have an account, sign in and begin the application.
*If you do not receive an e-mail from Submittable in your inbox, be sure to check your Spam inbox.
2. Begin your online application
All applicants are required to submit their contact information. Please provide your full legal name and date of birth as it appears on all government issued forms of identification in the Applicant Information section. Please also provide your current physical address, as well as your most frequently used email address and phone number.
Recharge Foundation Fellowship for New Surrealist Art is open to artists living anywhere in the United
States and U.S Territories.
3. Submit an Artist Statement & a Work Statement
Artist Statement: Applicants must submit a 200-word (max) statement about their artistic practice and
how their work fits into the “New Surrealist” genre.
Work Statement: Applicants must submit a 200-word (max) statement directly related to the work
samples submitted. The Work Statement should explain an applicant’s artistic practice as exemplified by
their work samples. This statement could give more context as to the conceptual underpinning of the
work, or focus on the processes involved. When writing the work statement it is important to be clear
Questions to consider for your Work Statement:
• What is this work about?
• How was it created?
• How does this work represent the primary concerns and intentions of your artistic practice?
4. Upload your Work Samples
The New Surrealist Fellowship only accepts images as Work Samples.
Please upload up-to 8 digital images using the following specifications:
File name: Labeled with applicant’s last name and a number, e.g “Smith01.jpg, Smith02.jpg, etc.”
Dimensions: 1500 pixels wide
Resolution: Minimum of 72 dpi (low resolution)
File size: No larger than 4.0 MB (each image)
File format: .jpg
Image files should be numbered 01 – 08 in the order the applicant would like them to be seen. Once
each image has been upload, caption fields will appear within the application. Please provide
descriptions for each image that include the title, date, materials, dimensions, and any additional
information. Documentative images should be labeled accordingly.
Quick Tips for Image Work Samples:
• You do not need to submit 08 images if you feel your work is represented well with fewer, and
submitting fewer will not detract from the review of your application.
• Composite images are not accepted. A composite image is a single image file that is comprised
of multiple images.
• Ensure your images are in focus, were taken in good lighting, and represent your work well.
• Be sure to note whether an image is a (detail) or (installation view) in the title.
5. Upload an Artist CV
Please include an artist CV no more than 2 pages in length.
6. Submit your Application
Review your application before you submit. Once the application is submitted you will not be able to
reopen your application.
Once you successfully submit your application you will receive a confirmation email from the