Register Now: NYFA Artist as Entrepreneur Program in Brooklyn
Artists of all disciplines within a commuting distance of NYFA’s offices in Brooklyn are now invited to register for a one day Artist as Entrepreneur Program, taking place on October 1.
Please note: This program is currently at capacity. If you wish to join the waitlist, please sign up below.
Registration is now open for the NYFA Artist as Entrepreneur Program, a professional development program that will take place in person on October 1 at NYFA’s offices in Brooklyn, NY.
This Artist as Entrepreneur Program is a day-long, in-person professional development opportunity that delves into the fundamental principles of sustainability in the arts. The program benefits artists of all disciplines and stages of their career who are looking to identify new ways of thinking and approaching their arts practice while seeking a community of like-minded peer artists.
Featured topics will include goal setting, digital marketing, finding the right opportunities for you, and action strategies. Acknowledging what it means to be an artist today, this intensive is designed to provide strategies to highlight your work online. The structure is a blend of workshops, panel discussions, and breakout groups.
Artists of all disciplines (Visual, Multidisciplinary, Performing, Literary, Interdisciplinary, Social Practice, Folk and Traditional, Film, Video and New Media) and career stages, including college students, are encouraged to register.
October 1, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM EDT (4:00 PM – 5:00 PM Optional Networking):
- Artist as Entrepreneur Introduction: an overview of the program’s goals, content, and tools–including the common attributes of artists and entrepreneurs.
- Defining Your Goals Session: an opportunity to brainstorm and gain insights from a peer group of fellow artists.
- Digital Marketing Workshop: Led by Anna Matos, Bronx Council on the Arts Marketing Communications Associate, this presentation will include best practices around social media including the opportunity for Q&A and group feedback.
- Designing Your Creative Career–Finding the Right Opportunities for You: How can you identify and procure the creative milestones that are right for you? This panel discussion will include Natalia Nakazawa, Interdisciplinary Artist, Educator, and Arts Administrator, and Lina M. Alfonso Gutierrez, Program Manager, Grants and Services, Lower Manhattan Cultural Council (LMCC), and span the artist, curator and grantmaker’s perspective.
- Action Strategies: Through a series of curated prompts, we will collectively explore strategies for actualizing your individual goals.
Location: New York Foundation for the Arts, 20 Jay Street, Suite 740, Brooklyn, NY 11201
Program Fee: $100
How to Register:
- Artists of all disciplines and career stages, including students.
- Anyone interested in joining the day-long workshop in person at NYFA’s offices in Brooklyn. Participants do not need to be based in New York City.
- Must show proof of vaccination and follow NYFA Covid-19 safety protocols (listed below).
Registration is required. Please note that capacity is limited to 40 participants, and spots will be allocated on a first-come, first serve basis. The registration form will ask you for the following information:
- What you hope to get out of this program.
- A brief bio of your artistic experience.
- A link to your website and/or online presence, if applicable.
Questions? For questions about the program, contact NYFA at [email protected] and include “1 Day Artist as Entrepreneur Program” in the subject line.
To request an accommodation or assistance in filling out the registration form, please email [email protected]. We ask that requests for accommodation be made as soon as possible and by Sept 16 to allow adequate time for staff to support you in submitting before registration closes.
NYFA Covid Safety Protocols
Current NYC COVID safety protocols will be observed throughout the program. Attendees must be vaccinated to attend, and will be asked to show their vaccine card or the Excelsior Pass at the beginning of each daily session. NYFA’s policy is that masks must be worn by all attendees throughout in person programming.
The program was everything and more, from the knowledgeable program facilitators, along with the experienced guest speakers. It was great to go through the exercises of the action plans, goal settings, work sample reviews and group share outs. I can say with confidence all the new information and strategies that were presented will help elevate my art practice. The artists that participated in the program were all very supportive and the program encouraged those participating to network and make connections that would be helpful in reaching the goals needed for everyone’s art practice.Rosaria Bazan-Pepe, 2022 NYFA/NYSCA Artist as Entrepreneur Program
This is a great program to help you focus on your goals as a professional artist. It is well thought out and organized in a way so you walk away with focused next steps to grow your creative business. You learn from speakers who are very knowledgeable, engaging and get you to interact with other art entrepreneurs. You also learn from your peers. It is worth the investment of time and I appreciated being part of it.Paul Cammarata, 2022 NYFA/NYSCA Artist as Entrepreneur Program