Our Career Advice services—NYFA Coaching, Doctor’s Hours, and Work Sample Reviews—offer organizations, artists, creatives, students, and arts administrators online opportunities to receive practical and actionable career advice from industry professionals and specialized NYFA staff.
Our roster of experts can assist with cover letter, resume, and art statement reviews and speak to you on topics related to finding a job in the arts, proposal writing, fundraising, marketing, and strategic planning.
Seeking individualized career advice?
NYFA Coaching offers individualized, dedicated one-on-one attention for creatives of all disciplines. Whether you’re applying for a job, working through a proposal, or simply looking for someone to help talk you through your career goals, our industry experts are here for you year round. Below, we invite you to book an appointment with NYFA affiliated professionals, including staff and consultants, who are ready to help you navigate your art career.
How it works
- Session prices range from $40-$80.
- You can select a 20-minute, 30-minute, or 40-minute session depending on your needs (see below).
- Book a 20 minute session for: the review of short materials such as cover letters or bios.
- Book a 30 or 40 minute session for: the review of artist statements, grant or project proposals, applications for exhibitions and residencies, or strategic/career planning.
- Select the coach that is the best fit for you and your professional needs. If you require a different coach for a different reason, then book separate sessions.
- If you’d like to work through a topic with your coach over time, recurring sessions are welcome!
Click below to read more about our NYFA Coaches! For questions, please contact [email protected].Register Now
Want feedback from more than one arts professional?
This program offers 25-minute, one-on-one sessions with up to three arts professionals. Each session is $35.
How it works
- Our consultants are both established in their field and invested in serving artists through the Doctor’s Hours program.
- Sessions are conducted every quarter.
- We introduce our consultants a month prior to the event and the registration link goes live at least three weeks in advance.
- Select the consultant that is the best fit for you and your professional needs.
- Sessions tend to get booked quickly, so be sure to register once the registration link is live.
- Bring specific questions and goals to your session/s in order to make the most of your time. For more advice, please visit our Professional Development FAQ page.
Stay tuned for updates on upcoming Doctor’s Hours programs.
If you have questions about this program, contact [email protected].
Looking to bring these services to your community?
FOR ORGANIZATIONS AND ACADEMIC INSTITUTIONS
Work Sample Reviews
- Conducted with the guidance and expertise of industry arts professionals and NYFA staff.
- Provides participants an in-person and behind-the-scenes experience of an artistic review panel.
- Participants receive individualized feedback regarding their application presentation and are offered the unique opportunity to ask panelists questions.
- The program is aligned with NYFA’s Fellowship application guidelines to give critical and constructive feedback on each participant’s submissions.
Please contact [email protected] for pricing and availability.
- One-on-one consultations that can be designed to suit your constituent’s needs based on their discipline and career trajectory.
- Access to our roster of experienced arts and industry professionals.
Image: LoVid (Fellows in Digital/Electronic Arts ’17), InterPlayce, 2016, Image Credit: Nick Scavo for Issue Project Room