Our Career Advice services—NYFA Coaching, Doctor’s Hours, and Work Sample Reviews—offer organizations, artists, creatives, students, and arts administrators online opportunities to receive practical and actionable career advice from industry professionals and specialized NYFA staff.
Our roster of experts can assist with cover letter, resume, and art statement reviews and speak to you on topics related to finding a job in the arts, proposal writing, fundraising, marketing, and strategic planning.
Seeking individualized career advice?
NYFA Coaching offers individualized, dedicated one-on-one attention for creatives of all disciplines.
Whether you are looking for advice on a specific topic or someone to help talk you through your career goals, our industry experts are here for you year round.
Coaching session topics can include art career planning; resume, cover letter, and portfolio reviews; fundraising/grant writing tips; marketing advice; and leadership development.
Below, we invite you to book an appointment with NYFA affiliated professionals.Book Now
How It Works
- Session prices range from $40-$80.
- You can select a 20-minute, 30-minute, or 40-minute session depending on your needs.
- If you’d like to work through a topic with your coach over time, recurring sessions are welcome!
About Our Coaches
As the Director of NYFA’s Fiscal Sponsorship department, as well as an artist and arts educator, Madeleine helps artists fundraise for their projects, connect with audiences, and manage projects to execute their creative visions.
Madeleine can offer insights on:
- Fundraising Strategy
- Grant Writing
- Project Management
- Project Budget Review
At NYFA, Alicia works closely with Fiscally Sponsored projects and has facilitated numerous professional development programs that empower artists and cultural workers. Born in Lima, Peru, in her previous role, she directed an art gallery highlighting the work of artists from Latin America and Spain in NYC.
Alicia can offer strategies and insights on:
- Building Gallery Relationships
- Finding Exhibition Spaces
- Accessing Local and International Opportunities
- Visual Arts Portfolios
- Residency or Fellowship Applications
- Grant Proposals
Chelsea is a Co-Active Coach, arts administrator and producer who works with women and nonprofit leaders, communities of color, and purpose-driven teams. She brings 15 years of arts leadership to her role at NYFA where she manages leadership programs for cultural workers.
Chelsea can offer strategies and insights on:
- Leadership Development
- Finding Purpose
- Navigating Challenges
- Goal Setting
- Implementing Vision
Molaundo has 20 years of experience in communications, including overseeing Art21’s marketing initiatives and founding his own firm, The Clever Agency.
Molaundo can offer strategies and insights on:
- Social Media
- Website Development
- Email Marketing
- Content Creation
- Paid Advertising
Brett is the deputy director of the Poetry Society of America, where he runs the annual awards and chapbook fellowship programs, as well as the poetry editor of A Public Space. He has over 20 years of experience in the literary non-profit field and as an editor.
Brett can offer strategies and insights on:
- Agent Queries
- Written Statements
- Residency and Fellowship Applications
- Literary Work Sample Reviews
Michelle Levy is an interdisciplinary artist with two decades of experience producing exhibitions and artist-centered programs for NYC arts institutions. As a NYFA Coach, Levy advises artists of all disciplines on how to write about and present their work.
Michelle can offer strategies and insights on:
- Artist Statements
- Project Statements/ Proposals
- Presenting Artwork
- Cultivating Opportunities
As a visual artist and arts administrator, Kelly manages a host of NYFA professional development programs that empower artists and creatives to realize their goals. As a coach, Kelly specializes in helping individual artists and creatives develop actionable steps towards achieving their dream careers.
Kelly can offer strategies and insights on:
- Career Planning
- Art Business Strategy
- Project Proposals
- Cover Letters
- Artist Statements
Mark brings 25 years of experience as a senior executive at NYC arts organizations, including NYFA, Elevator Repair Service Theater, and Alliance of Resident Theatres NY.
Mark can offer strategies and insights on:
- Resume/Cover Letter
- Job Search
- Fundraising Strategies
- Organizational Structure
- Corporate, Institutional, and Individual Giving
- Board Development
Matthew is a Grammy and Academy Award-nominated producer or director of over 12 films, both documentary and narrative. He has programmed art houses and festivals, and serves as the Executive Director of the Rivertown Film Society in Nyack, NY, and represents the copyrights for the work of producer/director Robert Altman.
Matthew can offer strategies and insights to filmmakers on:
- Film Exhibition
- Project Development
- Film Festivals
- Project Proposals
- Marketing Distribution
Are you an immigrant artist? For a limited time, access the FREE, online 1-on-1 Consultations for Immigrant Artists program, presented by the Immigrant Artist Resource Center thanks to the generous support of the Tremaine Foundation.
Our consultants are at capacity with appointments, and we are not currently booking new sessions. Please subscribe to the Immigrant Artist Newsletter to access other programs and resources.
¿Eres un artista inmigrante? Por tiempo limitado, acceda al programa GRATUITO de Consultas 1 a 1 en línea para artistas inmigrantes presentado por el Centro de Recursos para Artistas Inmigrantes, gracias al generoso apoyo de la Fundación Tremaine.
Nuestros consultores ya no tienen citas disponibles, actualmente no estamos aceptando reservas para nuevas sesiones. Suscríbase al boletín informativo The Immigrant Artist Newsletter para acceder a otros programas y recursos.
你是移民藝術家嗎？移民藝術家資源中心（Immigrant Artist Resource Center）推出免費線上移民藝術家一對一諮詢服務，此項服務將持續到經費用罄為止，有興趣的朋友請趕快預約報名。我們感謝翠冕基金會（Tremaine Foundation) 的慷慨支持。
與我們顧問的諮詢服務目前已經額滿，我們目前暫無新的的諮詢服務。請訂閱移民藝術家電子報（Immigrant Artist Newsletter）以獲得本服務或其他資源的最新動態。
Want feedback from more than one arts professional?
This program offers 25-minute, one-on-one sessions with up to three arts professionals. Each session is $35.
How It Works
- Our consultants are both established in their field and invested in serving artists through the Doctor’s Hours program.
- Sessions are conducted every quarter.
- We introduce our consultants a month prior to the event and the registration link goes live at least three weeks in advance.
- Select the consultant that is the best fit for you and your professional needs.
- Sessions tend to get booked quickly, so be sure to register once the registration link is live.
- Bring specific questions and goals to your session/s in order to make the most of your time. For more advice, please visit our Professional Development FAQ page.
Stay tuned for updates on upcoming Doctor’s Hours programs.
If you have questions about this program, contact [email protected].
Looking to bring these services to your community?
FOR ORGANIZATIONS AND ACADEMIC INSTITUTIONS
Work Sample Reviews
- Conducted with the guidance and expertise of industry arts professionals and NYFA staff.
- Provides participants an in-person and behind-the-scenes experience of an artistic review panel.
- Participants receive individualized feedback regarding their application presentation and are offered the unique opportunity to ask panelists questions.
- The program is aligned with NYFA’s Fellowship application guidelines to give critical and constructive feedback on each participant’s submissions.
Please contact [email protected] for pricing and availability.
- One-on-one consultations that can be designed to suit your constituent’s needs based on their discipline and career trajectory.
- Access to our roster of experienced arts and industry professionals.
Image: LoVid (Fellows in Digital/Electronic Arts ’17), InterPlayce, 2016, Image Credit: Nick Scavo for Issue Project Room