The JGS Fellowship for Photography
The JGS Fellowship for Photography is a $7,000 cash grant open to New York State photography artists living and working outside of New York City.
The Fellowship will be awarded to five artists working in traditional and experimental photography or any form in which photographic techniques are pivotal. The support for this funding is provided by The Joy of Giving Something (JGS).
WHO CAN APPLY?
The JGS Fellowship for Photography is open to New York State photography artists, living and working anywhere in the following regions of New York State: Western New York, Finger Lakes, Southern Tier, Central New York, North Country, Mohawk Valley, Capital District, Hudson Valley, and Long Island.
- Applicants must work in photography.
- Applicants can work in traditional and experimental photography or any form in which photography or photographic techniques are pivotal, if not exclusive.
- Applicants must be a current full-time resident of New York State and have lived full-time in one of the regions listed above for a minimum of 12 months at the time applications close.
- Applicant must be at least 25 years of age at the time the application closes.
- Students in bachelor’s or master’s degree programs of any kind are not eligible to apply.
- All past recipients of any NYFA grant or Fellowship are eligible to apply.
- NYFA employees, members of the NYFA Board of Trustees or Artists’ Advisory Committee, and/or an immediate family member of any of the above cannot apply.
Yes. All previous applicants and recipients of all NYFA awards, including the NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship in Photography, are eligible to apply for this award.
No. Only artists working in still photography where traditional or experimental photography techniques are used are eligible for the JGS Fellowship for Photography.
No. The JGS Fellowship for Photography is open to artists living and working in counties outside of New York City. These counties are: Albany, Allegany, Broome, Cattaraugus, Cayuga, Chautauqua, Chemung, Chenango, Clinton, Columbia, Cortland, Delaware, Dutchess, Erie, Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Genesee, Greene, Hamilton, Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Livingston, Madison, Monroe, Montgomery, Nassau, Niagara, Oneida, Onondaga, Ontario, Orange, Orleans, Oswego, Otsego, Putnam, Rensselaer, Rockland, St. Lawrence, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Schuyler, Seneca, Steuben, Suffolk, Sullivan, Tioga, Tompkins, Ulster, Warren, Washington, Wayne, Westchester, Wyoming, and Yates.
Applications for the Fellowship can be found here: apply.nyfa.org/submit. All applications need to be submitted online via the Submittable portal.
Yes. The JGS Fellowship for Photography is not a project grant which means that if awarded, funds do not need to be used on a specific project. Applicants should be applying with completed works.
Recipients of the JGS Fellowship for Photography will be announced in late August 2020.
Email [email protected].
Image Credit: Penelope Umbrico (NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellow in Photography ’10); 6, 063, 750 Suns from Flickr (Partial) 8/26/09, 2007-09, C-Print