Save the Date: #ArtistHotline Returns on February 15
Read the recap of January’s Artist Professional Development Day, and mark your calendar for the next chat: Wednesday, February 15, 9:30 AM – 5:30 PM EST.
To all the artists, arts organizations, and arts professionals who joined us for #ArtistHotline in January – thank you! We couldn’t imagine a better way to kick off the new year. We hope the day’s discussion, including the guest chat on “Resolutions: Goal Setting, Productivity Hacks, and Planning Ahead,” inspired you to move forward with your arts career in 2017.
Throughout the day, we covered a range of topics, including:
- tax season resources;
- how to stretch a tight budget;
- emergency funds for housing;
- event planning;
- advice for MFA candidates on starting out post-graduation;
- the blind panel selection process
“Resolutions: Goal Setting, Productivity Hacks, and Planning Ahead:” Key Takeaways from the Guest Chat
January’s guest chat featured an all-artist panel, consisting of multimedia artist Faith Holland, performance artist Joseph Keckler, and poet José Olivarez. They, along with participating artists and partner organizations, shared best practices around:
- setting process-based and product-based resolutions;
- using productivity apps, or more lo-fi solutions, to organize your goals;
- prioritizing opportunities that are in line with your vision or goals;
- viewing the application process as an opportunity for greater exposure with the selection panel;
- re-applying for opportunities you didn’t receive in the past;
- planning ahead when faced with political uncertainty and inconsistent income;
- setting and following through on long-term goals, even when they require short-term sacrifices;
- taking care of yourself physically, mentally, and emotionally
Read the full Storify to read the whole conversation, and be sure to join us for our next #ArtistHotline Twitter chat on February 15, 2017, 9:30 AM – 5:30 PM EST. As part of the day, we’ll have a guest chat on “Art Fairs, Biennials, & Conferences” from 1:00 – 3:00 PM EST.
Follow @nyfacurrent on Twitter for the latest updates!
Inspired by the NYFA Source Hotline, #ArtistHotline is an initiative dedicated to creating an ongoing online conversation around the professional side of artistic practice. #ArtistHotline occurs on the third Wednesday of each month on Twitter. Our goal is to help artists discover the resources needed, online and off, to develop sustainable careers.
This initiative is supported by the Emily Hall Tremaine Foundation.
Image: Michael Beitz (Fellow in Crafts/Sculpture 11).