Social | #ArtistHotline: October 18 Artist Professional Development Day
#ArtistHotline returns at a new time this month. Use the hashtag to tweet with us from 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM EST.
Feeling energized by the coming of fall? Apply that energy to your arts career and to connecting with an online community! #ArtistHotline, the monthly Artist Professional Development Day, returns to Twitter on October 18 at a new time for the month, from 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM EST.
#ArtistHotline is an online forum where artists and arts professionals come together to talk about building sustainable careers in the arts. Every artist has different goals and a unique understanding of what “sustainable” means. But all artists can support each other by sharing resources and best practices. So join us via Twitter for this jam-packed day of professional development. See the full schedule below, and learn about each portion of the day.
Schedule for the Day
- 11:00 AM EST: #ArtistHotline begins, starting with an Open Chat! NYFA staff and partnering organizations will be ready to field arts career questions and share insights. Use this time to ask questions on any professional development topic, from gallery relationships and business insurance to networking and studio safety.
- 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM EST: The “Fundraising Myth Busting” Guest Chat will tackle misconceptions about fundraising, offering concrete advice on funding an artist’s project.
- 3:00 PM – 3:30 PM EST: The #ArtistHotline Open Chat resumes.
- 3:30 PM – 4:00 PM EST: “Building Relationships with Individual Donors" Staff Q&A with Madeleine Cutrona, NYFA’s Program Officer, Fiscal Sponsorship, which will explore how individual artists can tap into their networks to find support for their projects.
“Fundraising Myth Busting” Guest Chat
As part of the day, we’re hosting a “Fundraising Myth Busting” Guest Chat with Courtney Harge, an arts administrator, director, and writer, Alysa Nahmias, a film director and producer, and Gigi Rosenberg, an author, performer, and artist coach. Anytime between 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM EST is a great time to tweet questions about funding an artist’s project.
How to Join the #ArtistHotline Conversation
Here’s how you can participate in #ArtistHotline throughout the day:
- If you don’t already have one, create a free Twitter account now.
- Follow the #ArtistHotline conversation live on Twitter.
- Tweet your questions using the hashtag #ArtistHotline and get responses from our industry experts, partnering organizations, and your fellow artists.
Want to participate but not sure how the day’s chat will play out? Try reading our Tips to Take Best Advantage of the Day. Then, chime in on Twitter on October 18!
Inspired by the NYFA Source Hotline, #ArtistHotline is an initiative dedicated to creating an ongoing online conversation around the professional side of artistic practice. #ArtistHotline occurs on the third Wednesday of each month on Twitter. Our goal is to help artists discover the resources needed, online and off, to develop sustainable careers.
This initiative is supported by the Emily Hall Tremaine Foundation.
Images: Merche Blasco (Fellow in Digital/Electronic Arts ‘17), still, Sonic Bloom; social media images: Alfy, Creative Commons