Fellows at 30: Hear NYFA Fellows Live and on The NYFA Collection: Vol. 2!
The NYFA Collection: Volume Two is available for purchase, and there are plenty of opportunities to see the featured NYFA Fellows perform live!
The NYFA Collection: Volume Two continues the archiving and dissemination of the New York music collection, which began with The NYFA Collection: 25 Years of New York New Music—a collection DownBeat called a “stunning document of historic culture.”
The NYFA Collection: Volume Two celebrates the 30th Anniversary of NYFA’s Artists’ Fellowship Program by releasing ten tracks created/composed by the 2013 Music and Sound Fellows. The collection was curated by Cristian Amigo and innova’s Philip Blackburn.
Upcoming Events with Artists on The NYFA Collection: Volume 2
- Check out Roulette this month to see Sylvie Courvoisier on piano. She’s featured in Ikue Mori: Pomegranate Seeds // World Premiere of Obelisk on September 16 as well as Ned Rothenberg’s 60th Birthday Party on September 18.
- Ben Gerstein performs with the Jacob Sacks Quintet with Jacob Garchik, Eivind Opsvik, and Dan Weiss on September 17 at 9:00 PM and 10:30 PM at the Cornelia Street Café.
- As part of the Brian Lehrer show’s Election 2016 series, Judith Sloan will perform Yo Miss! At WNYC’s The Greene Space on Thursday, September 29 at 7:00 PM.
- Don’t miss Svjetlana Bukvich in Ladies First – We’re All Immigrants on October 2, 2016 at 7:00 PM.
- Yotam Haber has been commissioned by Carnegie Hall and Kronos Quartet as part of Carnegie Hall’s 125th Anniversary!
- This fall Laura Andel will mentor young composers at the New York Philharmonic at Lincoln Center as a Teaching Artist Associate.
The collection includes the following tracks by NYFA Fellows in Music/Sound ‘13:
1. Khartes 4
Laura Andel Orchestra: Elliott Sharp, electric guitar; Daniel Binelli, bandoneon; Carl Maguire, Fender Rhodes, Andrew Drury, drums; Laura Andel, conductor
2. La Cigale
Sylvie Courvoisier TRIO
Sylvie Courvoisier, piano, composition; Drew Gress, bass; Julian Sartorius, drums
Frank Carlberg Big Band; Solos, Gerard Kleijn, Vincent Veneman
4. The Broken Branch Rag (2010)
The SUNY Fredonia Percussion Ensemble, Dr. Karolyn Stonefelt, director; Alec Dube, Juan Herrera, Kyle Scudder, percussion
5. Ode to Number 14
Mihoko Suzuki, Hiroko Suzuki, piano
6. Berl Isaac
Sholem Aleichem/Jack Newman/Ben Gerstein
Ben Gerstein, trombone; Jack Newman, voice
7. What’s Your Status? (a YO MISS! story)
Vocals written, performed, arranged and produced by Judith Sloan. Music composed, produced, and performed by Taylor Rivelli.
from Interior Designs
Kamala Sankaram, soprano Svjetlana Bukvich, piano, synthesizers
9. Sabbath Lily 1st Song
Holly Hansen, vocals; Adam Meckler Orchestra conducted by David Bloom
10. We Were All
Contemporaneous: David Bloom, conductor
NYFA’s Artists’ Fellowship Program awards $7,000 cash grants to artists living in New York State. This year marks the 30th anniversary of the program and NYFA is celebrating with events and online content. Be sure to follow NYFA on Twitter and Facebook for the latest updates.
Image: CD Artwork by Orit Ben-Shitrit (Fellow in Video/Film ‘12)