Application Deadline: Monday, November 1, 2021, 5:00 PM EDT
NYFA only accepts applications submitted online at: https://nyfawomeninfilm.submittable.com/submit
Administered by the New York Foundation for the Arts (NYFA) in partnership with the City of New York Mayor’s Office of Media and Entertainment (MOME), the NYC Women’s Media, Music and Theatre Fund (“Women’s Fund”) is the latest in a groundbreaking series of initiatives by the City of New York Mayor’s Office of Media and Entertainment (MOME) that address the underrepresentation of women in film, music, television and theatre. The Fund provides grants to encourage and support the creation of content that reflect the voices and perspectives of all who identify as women.
Applications Open: Monday, July 26 at 10:00 AM EDT
Applications Close: Monday, November 1 at 5:00 PM EDT
Recipients Notified: March, 2022
Funded Project Completion: March 31, 2023
• Projects must be made by, for, or about all who identify as women and/or feature a strong female or female-identified perspective; and/or director; and/or writer; and/or protagonist(s).
• Must be an original play or book of a musical (with dialogue, lyrics and music) that has not been produced previously.
• Must be able to project a professional staging (including paid cast and crew) of the developed work by March 31, 2023 for a minimum of 5 performances in New York City.
• Must be rehearsed and performed in New York City.
• Productions can either be presented to an in-person live audience, and online live audience, or a hybrid of both.
• Applicants can be theatre companies, commercial or not-for-profit producers, or playwrights planning to self-produce.
• The applicant (or, if different, the recipient of the funds) must reside in any of the five boroughs of New York City. Companies may be incorporated elsewhere, but must have New York business address.
• All recipients must complete a final report clearly outlining how the NYC Women’s Fund was used to complete the project along with sharing information on attendance numbers and public access plans or outcomes.
• Funds must be used to complete the project outlined in the application form. Funds may be allocated as the applicant needs to complete the project. However, funds cannot be used to purchase capital goods.
To request an accommodation or assistance in applying, please email [email protected].
We ask that requests for accommodation be made as soon as possible, and no later than October 18, to allow adequate time for staff to support the applicant before the deadline.
• A detailed synopsis of the full project. Up to 250 words.
- Please give an overview of your project’s themes and overall storyline.
• How the project represents a strong female or female-identified perspective. Up to 100 words.
- Please provide a statement detailing how your project represents voices, experiences and perspectives of all who identify as women.
•Biography for applicant and key artists involved in the project.
• Current state of the project and plans for completion by March 31, 2023.
- The NYC Women’s Fund is a production grant for theatre. Please include a narrative or calendar of events/key milestones.
• Plans to distribute completed project.
- All projects must include a public access component as detailed below.
• Amount of funding requested, description of anticipated use of funds, and how they will move the project to completion.
- Note: Purchases of equipment and other physical items are not an appropriate spend of the NYC Women’s Fund. This includes harddrives, lighting, and camera equipment. Artist or service fees, rentals, and subscriptions for the length of the project only are accepted.
• Completed budget template.
- Complete the budget table in Submittable outlining proposed totals of artist fees, equipment rentals, marketing, and other production costs. Clearly show the proposed spend of the NYC Women’s Fund award. If a full project budget is included, please highlight where the NYC Women’s fund will be used.
• A description of the target audience.
- Who are you hoping to reach with your project? Are there race/ethnicities, ages, genders, or geographic locations for your audience?
• Marketing plan.
- How do you plan to market your project to your target audience?
- Note: No more than 20% of the award funds may be used towards marketing
• A list of potential venues and Letter of Agreement or Intent from potential venue partners, if available.
- For independent producers or playwrights planning to self produce: It is not required to secure a venue prior to applying.
• Upload work samples as detailed below.
Applicants should include: a 15-page excerpt of the script to be produced. For musicals, operas, or other productions in which music plays a critical role, there is the option to upload a 10-minute music sample.
For devised/company-created pieces, a 15-page sample of the previous project and complete description of prompts or concepts for new work to be created.
The NYC Women’s Fund for Media, Music and Theatre is a government-funded program. Accordingly, recipients will be required to propose a meaningful way to provide free public access to New York City residents to the project for a limited period of time. Possibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• A free performance or invited dress rehearsal for New York City audiences;
• Free tickets by lottery, or other means to be agreed upon, over the course of the run equal to 25% of the total number of seats in the theatre for one performance.
• Other means mutually agreed to by MOME and NYFA.
Anyone can apply and be awarded a grant regardless of actual or perceived sex, gender, gender identity or gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, partnership status, marital status, disability (including use of a service animal), race, color, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, military status, or any other class protected by City, State, or Federal law.DOWNLOAD THE APPLICATION GUIDELINES AS A PDF