Administered by the New York Foundation for the Arts (NYFA), the NYC Women’s Fund for Media, Music and Theatre (“NYC Women’s Fund”) is the latest in a groundbreaking series of initiatives by the City of New York Mayor’s Office of Media and Entertainment (MOME) to address the underrepresentation of women in film, music, television and theatre. The NYC Women’s Fund provides grants to encourage and support the creation of content that reflect the voices and perspectives of all who identify as women.
The program will provide funds up to $50,000 for a theatre production which is rehearsed and
performed in New York City.
• Projects must be made by, for, or about all who identify as women and/or feature a strong female or female-identified perspective; and/or director; and/or writer; and/or protagonist(s).
• Must be an original play or book of a musical (with dialogue, lyrics and music) that has not been produced previously.
• Must be able to project a professional staging (including paid cast and crew) of the developed work by March 31, 2021 for a minimum of 5 performances in New York City.
• Must be rehearsed and performed in New York City.
• Applicants can be theatre companies, commercial or not-for-profit producers, or playwrights planning to self-produce.
• Applicant (or, if different, the recipient of the funds) must reside in any of the five boroughs of New York City. Companies may be incorporated elsewhere, but must have New York business address.
Applications must include:
• A detailed synopsis of the full project.
• How the project represents a strong female or female-identified perspective.
• Bios for applicant and key artists.
• Current state of the project and plans for project completion by March 31, 2021.
• Amount of funding requested, description of anticipated use of funds, and how they will move the project to completion.
• Completed budget template.
• A description of the target audience and marketing plan.
• A list of potential venues and Letter of Agreement or Intent from potential venue partners, if available.
• Work samples as detailed below.
Applicants should include: a 15-page excerpt of the script to be produced. For musicals, operas
or other productions in which music plays a critical role, there is the option to upload a
10-minute music sample.
For devised/company-created pieces, a 15-page sample of the previous project and complete
description of prompts or concept for new work to be created.
The NYC Women’s Fund for Media, Music and Theatre is a government-funded program. Accordingly, applicants will be required to propose a meaningful way to provide free public access to New York City residents to the project for a limited period of time. Possibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• A free performance or invited dress rehearsal for New York City audiences;
• Free tickets by lottery, or other means to be agreed upon, over the course of the run equal to 25% of the total number of seats in the theatre for one performance.
• Other means mutually agreed to by MOME and NYFA.
Anyone can apply and be awarded a grant regardless of actual or perceived sex, gender, gender identity or gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, partnership status, marital status, disability (including use of a service animal), race, color, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, military status, or any other class protected by City, State, or Federal law.DOWNLOAD THE APPLICATION GUIDELINES AS A PDF